Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Privacy & Confidentiality

As if identity theft wasn’t an issue already, new media is like identity theft on steroids. New media makes communication and collaboration faster, but with this faster transfer of this “good” information, there comes the faster and easier transfer of the information you’d prefer to keep private.
I think a lot of the responsibility is on the user. The user needs to be more aware of what they are putting on the web. For example, a lot of social networking sites give user's the option of certain privacy settings; It is then the user's responsibility to select the best options depending on the amount of information they want to share with basically...the whole world!

On the other hand, for those users who do take precaution in what they post online, there are people who use new media unethically. For example businesses prey on potential hires, specifically looking for "dirt" and invade their privacy. Also, cyber criminals prey and hack into sites gathering information on their victims to steal their identity. There needs to be stronger internet policies that prevent this negative transfer of information and protect users.

I do believe that privacy and confidentiality in new media is certainly an issues. However, I am firm believer that is a joint responsibility of the user and new media information policy creators.

1 comment:

  1. I really do agree (I think we all do) that facebook and myspace have become a serious problem for all it's users. You're right, it is the responsibility of the user, but why is it fair that we must filter our thoughts and actions out of caution for people who we don't want to be aware of our situations and our environment. I use all the security precautions on my FB account, I make sure I only accept people I know well, and I try my hardest to filter my status' and pictures but there's only so much one can do. There are hackers, and once it's up on the web it's up there forever. It's just not right.

    ReplyDelete