Sunday, October 3, 2010

Check Out Social Networking Sites

Facebook, Myspace, Friendster, and Hi5 are four different social networking sites; however, they all have the same general purpose of connecting people.

Myspace is where I had my first real “social network” experience. Myspace allows for the most customization of the four sites. While I used Myspace, I was able to use HTML codes to design my background, add music, change the layout of my profile, color scheme, etc.

In terms of the general idea, Hi5 is similar to MySpace. Though it does not allow for as much design customization as Myspace, you still have the option to change your profile background and the general layout of your page. Even though I already had a Myspace and preferred it, I decided to create a Hi5 account because it was the most widely used social networking site in Jamaica at the time. It was through Hi5 that I had the chance to reconnect with many of my friends and classmates from Jamaica, who had not been on Myspace.

Personally, Myspace and Hi5 served for more personal reasons. I would only use Myspace for business purposes if I was in the entertainment industry or something of that nature.

Friendster is the only social network out of the four that I had not used. It terms of customization, it is most similar to Hi5. Its only real area of customization is choosing a background. Friendster did not really appeal me. Just as Myspace and Hi5, I would only use Friendster for personal purposes.

As stated on its homepage, “Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life.”
Facebook is the most widely used of the four and is also the one that I prefer and use regularly. Unlike Myspace, Hi5, and Friendster, Facebook does not have any profile customization features. The color scheme and theme of all user profiles are the same. Because of Facebook’s design, it can serve for both personal and business purposes. It is “fun” enough to interact playfully with friends and family but it is also professional enough to be used to maintain business networks.

Besides the extensive customization features, Facebook does not lack anything in comparison to the other three sites. I still kept my account on Myspace and Hi5 active, but I almost never visit them because the majority (if not all) the people I connected with on those sites now have a Facebook. I do however check the sites periodically to see if any old friends are attempting to reach me.

See the sites for yourself:

Facebook














MySpace



Hi5














Friendster

No comments:

Post a Comment